The successful outcome of a numismatic investigation is greatly enhanced when collectors, dealers and law enforcement personnel involved in the investigation and management of a numismatic crime utilize the most effective techniques and unique resources and assistance available today.
Collectors, dealers and law enforcement agencies nationally and internationally are hampered by the lack of a centralized and specialized resource to assist in meeting the challenges presented in the complexities of a numismatic crime.
The mission of the Numismatic Crime Information Center is to serve as a national and international resource for collectors, dealers and law enforcement in the education, prevention and investigation of crimes involving coins, paper money, tokens and related numismatic items.
NCIC fulfills its mission through several important initiatives:
- Maintaining a database of numismatic crimes and stolen property
- Providing technical assistance to local, state, federal and international law enforcement agencies in the investigation and prosecution of numismatic crimes
- Offering training to local, state, federal and international law enforcement agencies in the investigation of numismatic crimes
- Educating collectors and dealers in the prevention of numismatic crimes and the important role each plays within the investigative process
- Effective dissemination of numismatic crimes throughout the numismatic industry and law enforcement via publications, dedicated website and international alliances
- Networking with numismatic organizations globally to enhance the education and prevention of numismatic crimes